View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
Maquisard
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan_Dog
Up until now I have been creating 2 kinds of pre-rendered background art - LucasArts "DOTT" style, and 3D. Now the problem here is that 3D backgrounds I've been making look too "plastic" i.e. they look more suited for an architectual model than a game; and the 2d art seems too "clownish" i.e. you can't be expected to make a serious dark-gritty game with Sam & Max style art. So what I am looking for is the balance between the two so I can make something with more serious themes.

Now, Benoit Sokal does this well in Syberia, so I am wondering if anybody knows the techniques involved in making such art. Is it a combination of 3D and 2D, is it 3d with 2.5d i.e. ZBrush painting software. Or is it all 2D but done with some "Benoit magic". I know the man is a legend and his art will always be dazzling but I just want to go in the right direction with my next project.

Also, I think BS1 and BS2 artwork is quite nice but I believe that it was all done in 2D painting.
OK, ja cu se smilovati

Syberia is, I think, entirely 3d prerendered. Benoit's involvement as an artist must have been 2d concept sketches, not the 3d itself.

As far as making a dark and gritty game... If you can faithfully imitate the style of Lucas Arts comic adventures it takes some talent to do that. I'm sure you can apply that knowledge, and make 2D art (like BS1 &2) that is not as light, but fits whatever atmosphere you want to create.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem