View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #128
Fien
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Which is why I have not invested in any game development project to-date. I came very close, but the designer and I, shall we say. disagreed on terms.
Yeah, and after the many hints you've been dropping for some time now we all know who that is. Sour grapes too. If I were a game developer, God forbid, I'd hate to see a potential investor talk about his potential investment on a public forum. You want a secure investment with a guaranteed return in the current financial turmoil? Look elsewhere. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
These kickstarters are independent games. To assume they will be top sellers in open markets is very optimistic and, in some cases, unlikely.
And that's exactly the reason why publishers refuse to fund the adventure genre. The number of KS backers is an indication of the potential sales. Multiplied by a factor X of course, but still an indication. A very devoted but very small fan base willing to donate 70-100 (!) dollars on average is simply not enough. Publishers are not evil, they have to make a profit or they'll go belly up.

Quote:
I am not supporting kickstarters because I want personal profits. I'm doing it because I care about the developers, I love their previous work where applicable, and I have complete faith in them to make a great product without publishers getting in the way.
Let's also have lots of indies who are able to fund their own games (Amanita, Jonathan Boakes) and make use of Steam, GOG, and yes, publishers.