View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #126
inm8#2

Kickstarter isn't venture capitalism, and it does not aspire to be that. It is a mechanism of allowing creative developers to gain funding directly from their fanbases.

Assuming a kickstarter is successful, and the creator is able to form a studio or small company, then maybe people can talk about investments.

But for kickstarter projects alone, wishing for a monetary % return on an independent game project is asking a bit much and applying a completely different business model to what kickstarter is.

And any developer would be insane to promise percentage returns to kickstarter backers. If a game isn't commercially successful outside of kickstarter, the developer is financially ruined and beholden to various unfulfillable contracts.

I just don't know why people are looking for such specific things when kickstarter backers already reap certain advantages. For example, if you pay $15 to fund a game project, you get the game compared to paying $30 in store or online after release. You may not get 5% returns, but who the hell does? A select few movie stars? Very small percentage (<<1% rewards) might apply to five figure backers in the future. But for someone to want a cut of the HYPOTHETICAL profits is inane.

Where is this entitlement among some adventure gamers coming from? Again, not interested in supporting the projects, more power to you. But the reasons are...odd.

These kickstarters are independent games. To assume they will be top sellers in open markets is very optimistic and, in some cases, unlikely.

The developers are offering as many rewards as they can, but asking them to put themselves into severe risk of financial ruin is silly.

I am not supporting kickstarters because I want personal profits. I'm doing it because I care about the developers, I love their previous work where applicable, and I have complete faith in them to make a great product without publishers getting in the way.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown

Last edited by inm8#2; 05-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.