View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #125
rtrooney
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
This is exactly what needs to happen for adventure gaming, indie gaming, and maybe gaming in general. It's the solution adventure gamers have been waiting for
And, while I don't disagree, this is still the fundamental difference between backers and investors.

Kickstarter is a "Backer" medium. You put your money in. You get your game, (if it ever gets produced,) and whatever level of "trinket" you signed up for.

This, as opposed to "investing" in game development. That's putting money into game development with the expectation that there will be a return on that investment. If I am currenty getting 5% return on my non-game investments, that's what I expect to receive on an investment in a game.

No Kickstarter project offers that.

And I know there is risk. Not every game developed by a "known" designer has been successful.

Which is why I have not invested in any game development project to-date. I came very close, but the designer and I, shall we say. disagreed on terms.

If you want to put in $35 for the digital game and a T-shirt, go for it. Again, assuming the game will ever get produced.

That kind of return. and I was looing at a great deal more than $35 just didn't cut it for me.