View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #124
inm8#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyesIdid View Post
OMG............. Look, you are funding a game and you get the game and tons of other stuff for for free doing so. Big companies will not give a shit about Jane Jensen and others UNTIL they prove they can still be successful. And IF these games turn out to be commercial successes, THEN the big companies will start caring and funding the adventure genre again. There really is no point in whining about how bad it is now, when you can help these people to bring back the good old times.

The only reason I have not donated a dime is because I'm broke as hell, but I will make a donation next month, whether I get something in return or not.
I'll take it a step further and say this is about developers taking control. Jane Jensen, for example, is opening her own studio. That is a brilliant move and a very good long term solution.

Game developers simply don't need publishers anymore given the digital distribution methods. For example, Brian Fargo (Wasteland 2) said he's been trying to make that game for years. When his kickstarter was successful, publishers THEN decided to offer to distribute Wasteland 2. Fargo told them he had the best form of distribution in the fanbase. It was a polite way of telling the publishers to f*** off.

That is what this is about: developers extricating themselves from the shackles of greedy, intrusive, stupid publishers who are completely out of touch.

This is exactly what needs to happen for adventure gaming, indie gaming, and maybe gaming in general. It's the solution adventure gamers have been waiting for, as the roadblock to many projects has been publishers and funding. Now that the roadblock is cleared, some people actually complain that games should be developed in studios.

????? ?????

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown