View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #162
ozzie

I can't believe that this campaign came right out of the gate with two terrible ideas, two ideas that show to me that the guys behind Tex don't get the spirit of Kickstarter at all.
Now I'm glad that they dropped what essentially would have amounted to exclusive pre-order DLC. This is one of the incentives that publishers use to convince their customers to buy their game before it's released, when the hype is still high and before the critical reviews are out. Nobody likes exclusive pre-order DLC, it segments the games, withholds certain content merely for marketing and monetary reasons. The mere intention behind it is so cynical that it's deeply unattractive. Personally I only want to put money down for a game once and then don't worry about it again.

Then there's DRM. Maybe Aaron and Chris don't know this, but you don't have to use the DRM Steam provides. You can use your own DRM solution instead or even dispense with any form of DRM, like Psychonauts does.

DRM goes even more against the spirit of Kickstarter. Kickstarter fills niches that otherwise the market wouldn't pay any attention to. Projects are funded directly by the customers and therefore have to cater to their demands, otherwise they won't reach their funding goal.
I can't imagine any customer desperately wanting DRM. DRM only exists to sate the paranoia of publishers. They fear that dirty pirates might get hold of their precious product without paying a single dime for it. I don't think any rational argument will ever convince them that DRM is wrong-headed, doesn't prevent piracy and only ever annoys the honest customer. No Steam game remained ever uncracked.
Often developers don't want to put DRM on their games because they know it's ineffective and just plain unfair to their customers. But the publishers always force them to. Who forces Chris and Aaron to put DRM on their game? Nobody! Who funds their game? WE fund their game! So I hope we all will demand that they don't shackle Tex to the chains of DRM! Let us force them to drop it!

So far I'm not sure I want to support a campaign so unthankful to their supporters.

Last edited by ozzie; 05-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.