View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
thejobloshow

The biggest issue with modern adventure games is not from the puzzles being too hard. Most designers today know very well to avoid the cheapest aspects of classic adventures: unwinnable states and pixel hunting. (I HATE pixel hunting.)

The biggest issue (or more accurately: my biggest concern) is coming from making the games too easy by stripping away interactivity.

I think we're all spotting the emerging trend that's causing adventure games to be too easy by replacing conventional lateral thinking puzzles that are solved through exploration with 'follow the cut scene' reflex tests that's championed by Quantic Dream and spreading to Telltale Games.

Mind you, this watering down of gaming is a common theme with this gen. I think gamers are more entertained being spectators in big titles like Mass Effect, Call of Duty and Uncharted than actually being... well... gamers! And it's only natural adventure games are following this trend too since 'cut scenes' sort of became popular because of us.

However, this is removing the kind of challenge I like. The one where I click everything and have those 'eureka!' moments.

TL;DR - stripping away interactivity is a CON. expanding exploration in pursuit of overcoming an obstacle is a PRO.