View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #119
jfrisby

I'd just like to say it's a bit disheartening to see the negativity here, and the beginnings of the "Tex Murphy vs. the world" war. Think that's a pretty bad for way long-suffering adventure game fans to come at this fundraising model.

It's pretty clear that every adventure game to launch after Double Fine is going to get labeled an "also-ran," pretty much regardless of the varied facts in the history of all of these games. I, for one, am pretty devoted to blindly pledging at least $30-50 dollars for pretty much every campaign out of some spirit of "we've all got to be in this together if the industry is actually going to pay attention to the genre" and "competition will likely improve all of these games."

I wasn't blown away by the Double Fine video, or with the whole scripted-skit-slickness of it. That really just screams "expensive marketing team" to me. Think it's pretty clear to anyone watching DFA closely that, while it's all looking great, the donated money is being used up crazy fast by that San Francisco slickness (so it's a trade off, really). I've appreciated the direct approach, since most of these people really don't belong in front of a camera, let alone whether any of them should be judged by the Kickstarter-popularity-contest, who has the coolest video thing, rather than their history.

And, personally, I think it's better for all these projects to approach Kickstarter with vague concepts. It allows some amount of all-things-to-all-people thinking, and is likely only the subject of criticism for, at most, a few hundred people in forums. On the whole a stronger stance for fundraising.

So the bar is set the highest for Tex Murphy now, renowned for it's FMV - they ought to have a better video than everyone, right? Does anyone actually think it could beat Tim Schafer's natural comic timing and insane level of charisma?

It's a pretty bad way to approach that project, and pretty bad way to think for the community in general. So, unless the Tex Murphy people are confident they've saved up enough money by not backing other projects and bashing them, I'd suggest they be a bit nicer, and inform themselves a bit more, about other games within the community.

For me, it's been 25 years too long to screw this up with this sort of crap, or video popularity contests.