View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #116
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I don't get why the biggest selling point is the voice actors. Voice acting should be one of the LAST things to get added to the game, if funding allows it. It should not be a sales pitch.
I understand and appreciate that the SQ games did not appeal to you. There are a number of well regarded games that I personally have no use for, too. However, you have to realize that Gary Owens was the first voice talent onboard with the project. He was THE SQ narrator and big part of the charm of SQ. I don't think that you can draw too many parallels between the Kickstarter projects that are very much in the public eye and a more conventional project that much of the initial stages are behind closed doors.

I do agree that new players need to be considered, but you can't do it by completely alienating the loyal base. You do have to use the elements that made such a loyal fan base to begin with. For those that have not played a SQ game, I would suggest that you download the IA Space Quest II remake. It is free and perfectly captures the same spirit as the originals.