View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
How many people can play Maniac Mansion today? Only those who bought either the original game or Day Of The Tentacle at least 20 years ago.
I know for a fact it was available more recently than that, as I got my copy more recently, in a Lucasarts collection. In fact, a quick search indicates the last collection to include it was released only 10 years ago, and I find several copies of collections containing it available for sale on Amazon. But that's a minor quibble.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree because on a fundamental level you base your argument on a "right" that I don't hold to be self-evident. The notion that I have a right to the work of others no matter what is an alien concept, and one I find unsupportable. (And citing cultural importance is unconvincing, as that is a nebulous and shifting quality, and in fact is likely, if put to a universal vote, NOT something that would be ascribed to Maniac Mansion by many people outside a specific interest group. Of which I am a part, but still. )

And I also find it to be impractical in application on the universal level you seem to be talking about, especially if one stops short of advocating dispensing free copies, since the ability to pay will ALWAYS be a barrier to access for anything that is bought and sold.

And the quote you provide would be more convincing if the kind of historical preservation he talks about weren't accomplished just as well by my preserving my legally purchased copy, to be utilized by those in the future when the copyright issues are resolved.