View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #32
Agustin
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
As I said, I don't think preservation of culture requires that EVERY person be able to personally acquire every work of art ever made. I think it is possible for culture to be preserved even if I, personally, don't have access to it. I would agree, though, that it isn't preserved if NOBODY has access to it, but that is very seldom the case under discussion.
Then we disagree. I believe EVERYBODY deserves the same right to access culture. Preserving has not point if only a few select people will enjoy those works.

Quote:
If there was an adventure game museum somewhere, where all these games were preserved and people could come in and play them, would that satisfy the preservation of culture? I'd say yes, but it seems like some feel such an end is ONLY served if everybody can have their own copy.
I won't deny this is an interesting solution but we both know that will never occur. And I would go as far as saying that, yes, everybody deserves the right to have a copy. Think about books since we may see games here too much as "products" and not culture. Suppose, oh I don't know, 1984 were no longer for sale. It would be highly impractical for people to visit a museum to read that book. Doesn't make the least sense to me; it's a culturally important book, therefore everybody must have access to it.

Quote:
If you aren't arguing for access free of charge (which I admit may have been my own misreading of your use of the term "freely accessible") then I agree that is a laudable goal, but I still don't see how it is a right. And if the works are still under copyright, but not offered by the copyright holder, there isn't really any legal way to charge for a copy that I can see.
My point exactly: I think the system is failing. Laws are dictated by humans so they can be wrong.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I probably sound really judgemental here, but mostly this reasoning informs my own actions. I don't feel constrained to work to thwart those who feel otherwise, and I maintain warm friendships with people who would actually go even further in this direction than you would. I don't want to make any enemies here. I'm just trying to make my own position clear, and sometimes I don't come off very well when I do so. For that I apologize.
No worries. It's a discussion, and a civilized one at that