View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
Agustin
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I disagree. That sounds like an entitlement mentality to me, and is EXACTLY the sort of argument used by those who DO employ piracy.

I don't see any compelling argument that I am ENTITLED to have access to all creative works ever made, no matter what. That sort of thinking is EXACTLY what leads people to think, "They are charging more than I want to pay for that. It should be freely accessible, therefore I am justified in illegally downloading it, since they won't make it available at a price I can afford." If you didn't make it, or somehow legally acquire it, I don't see where you could say you have ANY "rights" to access it, even if it would be NICE if you could.
But you're missing a crucial point of my argument: provided they're no longer available. The key word here is availability. I did not say these copies should be free of charge. On the contrary, charge for them like GOG does. Their work deserves monetary recognition. But allow consumers to acquire them by legal rights; if you fail to do that, the consumer has a right to acquire the work by other means.

That is the very basis of preservation of culture.