View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
It's more about preservation of culture than entitlement, though I don't see anything wrong with entitlement in itself.
Preservation of culture is one thing, the idea that everybody has a right to own their own copy free of charge is quite another, to my mind. There's an awful lot of artwork of various types that are preserved, but which I cannot access without making payment (and some which I cannot access at all, since they are held by people or organizations that do not allow easy access).

I would tend to agree that copyright extensions have gotten out of hand, but I see that as an argument in favor of addressing copyright law, not feeling free to ignore it.

The problem I see with entitlement is that it tends to lead to the creation of "rights" with no justification other than "I want it to be that way". There is a big difference between believing something SHOULD be a certain way, and working toward that as a goal, and believing something should be a certain way, and thus simply claiming it as a "right" and using that to justify ignoring the current circumstances.