View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
Abandonware is not legal, yes, but it's in a very gray area. It's one of those instances where current laws are failing.

I understand the implications of sharing links in public (it's not politically correct, to put it somehow) but we shouldn't treat abandonware as taboo. Rather it's a problem that begs to be resolved.

And this comes from a developer. There are many adventures out there that may never be sold again, be it because of licensing problems or lack of interest; it would be a shame to seem those forever condemned to oblivion.
^ I agree with this.

Personally I've discovered quite a few gems via Home of the Underdogs (Flight of the Amazon Queen being the foremost example). And if some games really are NOWHERE to be found legally, then abandonware is a good alternative, imo.
I've also read somewhere that Home of the Underdogs has some form of relationship with GOG, which I see as very positive.
(edit: it was on their wikipedia page)

As an aside to abandonware: isn't buying an old game on eBay in an equally gray area? It's not like the developers (or rather: copyright holders) are seeing any revenue from that...