View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #1721
Siddhi

Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island - 3.5/5

A lot of people had said that the Nancy Drew games were quite decent, so I picked this one up at a steam sale to check out the series.

I started playing it last year, but the slideshow style of movement really put me off and I put it aside after a couple of hours. I recently restarted it from the beginning, and surprisingly found that the slideshow movement didnt bother me this time .

Anyway, I found the game to be quite good. The story wasn't very deep, but the puzzles were fun and challenging. This is a heavily puzzle driven game with one or two dialog and inventory puzzles.

There aren't a lot of locations, and each location is reused for a number of puzzles. I actually liked that because I built some familiarity with the locations instead of moving from place to place. The nautical and whale theme was also interesting.

There are many places where you can die, but the game immediately gives you a "Second Chance" button which takes you to the point right before the death, so you don't have to replay anything. The game took me 9 hours to finish, leaving aside the few hours from last year.

Overall, while not at the classic adventure game level, it is still very playable and enjoyable. This game is one of the early ones in the series, so I'm looking forward to checking out the newer games.