View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #860
maladroid
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

^ I more or less agree with your take on how voice acting doesn't usually benefit adventure games, but I somewhat disagree on the time: I think modern adventure games have more meh performances than the oldies. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that back then adventure games were pretty much the only genre featuring voice acting to that extent so it all sounded kind of exciting while nowadays action/FPSs with huge budgets can afford AA actors and outshine AGs with ease (although good casting, I find, isn't always associated with money).

But beyond that, the classics from the 90s, especially the ones by LucasArts, consistently featured quality voice work. I still can't believe you didn't mention Grim Fandango in the list of games with impressive voice talent throughout; to me it remains one of its most distinctive characteristics - it really helped elevate the experience to a whole new level. I don't remember being at all that impressed with GK 1, even though I love this game as well.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora