View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #4065
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan
The Avengers - 4 / 5

Now THIS is how you handle an ensemble cast in an action movie! Michael Bay should take notes.
Everybody gets a more or less equal share of screen time and everyone gets their moment of sheer epicness. The humour was once again handled brilliantly (the jet pilot's reaction when the Hulk charges at him, and the Hulk's "puny god" moment will have you in stitches).
This film made me feel like I did during the first Iron Man film - wanting to stand up and demand more when the credits rolled. It's good. It's really good!
Also, I was really impressed with both Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo. Ruffalo's Bruce Banner is a lot closer to Bana's than Norton's, but I think he beats both of them, a really good replacement.
Anyway, if you liked any of the recent Marvel superhero movies, then you'll love this one...
I loved Avengers too, and you could really see Whedon's influence, especially in how Black Widow's role was handled. She's a non-powered character that really had nothing to do in the final fight, and he managed to establish her enough to not make her stick out like a sore thumb or drop into the shadows.

Also, he changed the conventions of "spy girl" behavior [sort of spoilers follow]
Spoiler:
by having Scarlett Johansson act just as well when Black Widow is acting as when she's being sincere. Usually when the femme fatale uses "being a girl" to her advantage in a fight/interrogation the actress/director show it by having her act worse than normal and a lot of winking to the screen. Here she was absolutely believable until she revealed she was acting. Absolutely an improvement, and a well-crafted role.

There were some small things I reacted to;
Spoiler:
I felt the Hulk went from "no control" to "fully in control" without any explanation, a few plot-leaps and Loke didn't have much personality or much of himself left, he was kinda reduced to a power-hungry henchman. Also, I hate Jeremy Renner. I felt he over-acted and didn't bring much to Hawkeye to let him grow into a big part of the Avengers team. For my part he could have stayed evil..

But there was nothing that detracted from the experience, and I enjoyed every minute of the film, and would absolutely see it again. Also, new Hulk is awesome, and Nick Fury is badass!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery