View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
diego

Default Let's Play The Black Mirror

Let's Play "The Black Mirror"

Part 1: "I've Seen That Manor Before"

And now i remember - I've seen it in The Black Mirror 2. Hello and welcome! This is my first time of playing The Black Mirror, and i will try to update here as i progress, discuss the game and hopefully get help from those of you who had played it if i get stuck. I hesitated to play it after the second one, but decided to give it a go. It's also my first time of doing this kind of a "game diary", so please bear with me.

After the nice "cabaret"-sque music in the main menu, it starts with the mysterious intro, which leaves us guessing and leading us to the main protagonist coming back to the manor. I have a soft spot for heroes returning home after a long time. Like Sean Penn aka Terry Noonan in State of Grace

or Sir Henry in "The Hound of the Baskervilles"

Samuel has been absent for 12 years (come to think of it, that's exactly around the same time i hadn't visited my countryside cottage) and returns for grandfather's funeral. Funny, but at first i just couldn't seem to acknowledge William was his grandfather, even after watching the intro for a couple of times. I assumed Samuel was his nephew - after all - it's always Uncles with a big manors sending for their nephews. And so, we begin:

At this point, i had no idea who is who. Something's definitely not quite right about Sir William's death, and after the talk - Samuel begins to investigate around the manor.

As i stepped outside, there's a huge "Phantasmagoria" vibe:

like those "creepy" trees

or the gate

I tried to go even further

but Samuel wouldn't let me, asking for a map. Will this makeshift map do?:

I guess not. And tell what you will of my art skills, but it helped me to get a grip of the surroundings.

Lovely scene. You can't see it here, but the leaves gently move on a lazy wind. I also had electric fan turned on behind me, which seemed convenient.

Back into the house, and another Phantasmagoria look-a-like

After a while, i've found the map and hurried to the gate:

Well, thanks Samuel, but don't give me any more hints!

Time to explore the study in which William spent most of the time, as well as on that dark night.

I wish i had played The Black Mirror before making my Art Quiz, as there're many portraits/paintings to be found

Also, there're remnants of a terrible fire for which Samuel is responsible - the story i've learned in The Black Mirror 2 as well

After a while, I gained access to the attic.

I didn't doubt it for a second. As a staple of a gothic tale, i was met with a locked boarded attic door. Wait, where did i see an axe before? I "jumped" to the stable (btw, anyone else wished for a quick-jump map? Or at least, i think the feature from A Vampyre Story with "Esc" key for an instant walk would be more than welcomed here )

Oops, wrong game.

Aha! There's an axe. Unfortunately, all he talks about is gossipping the gardener. However, moments later:

and few minutes of walking later

i managed to break the door open. Of course, it wouldn't be an adventure game if the door wasn't locked as well.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 05-05-2012 at 10:04 AM.