View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #800
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Not perfect, but he was a believable Gabriel Knight.
I really think he wasn't. I'm willing to forgive his seemingly endless store of stupid faces supposed to pass as acting. But he just wasn't Gabriel. Gabe is smooth, charming, confident to the point of cockiness, with a sort of raw, animal sexiness — and with some wisdom that he's managed to gain over the course of the first game. But the guy that Dean Erickson portrays in GK2 is more like an angry and uncomfortable teenager, always looking out of place and ill-at-ease. It definitely can't all be blamed on the actor, but also on the director — and I guess the casting director, who seems not to have looked beyond hair colour. But in any case, he's not Gabe. And I think that hurts the story, which is supposed to be all about Gabriel confronting his wild, animal side — but the only animal side that Dean Erickson's performance conveys is that of a rabbit caught in the headlights.

(By the way, I couldn't agree more about Tim Curry in GK3. His performance was completely over the top and ridiculous. He did a great job in GK1, but was horribly cheesy in GK3. I don't know what went wrong there (different director?), but something definitely did.)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]