View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #84
WitchOfDoubt

Hurriedly, L. V. punched in the four-digit code, flung open the door, and stepped through... only to find himself in square stone room, very much like the one that the maze had begun in.

A - N - N - W - E - S - S - E -

"Dude..." he said, exasperation. "Now what?"

As if in response, Walter Sexton slid into the room through a long chute, having found a different route. As L. V. helped him to his feet, he brushed the dust off of his trousers. "Where the devil did you get to?" asked Sexton.

"Hey, I'm not the one who split when -"

L. V. was cut off by the sound of growling drawing near. "Uh-oh."

The two scanned the room for any kind of exit, and it was then that L. V. saw the carved 'R' on the floor. "Quick!" he shouted. "Get on that tile!" He dragged the old man with him just as the demons burst into the room, and the moment that their feet touched the tile...

The world was rewritten;
the truth of the Human Side stood triumphant
(for the moment, at least)
over the illusion of the Witch of Secrets.

"Howdy," said L. V., as the two security guards turned the corner.

"What are you doing back here?!" said Sal Lucas, eyes narrowed.

Having heard voices coming from the maze of old hallways and disused rooms that filled the back areas of the Club, Maria and Sal had headed back to investigate. Now they eyed the pair of guests suspiciously. Walter shrugged, and L. V. gave his best 'aw-shucks' grin.

"Oh, we were talking about something private," said Walter.

"Just looking for the bathroom," said L. V., simultaneously.

"Hmm," said Maria, unconvinced. "You should go back with the others. You don't have permission to be back here, you know."

"Will do," said L. V. "I think I know the second song to open that music safe, anyway."

A palpable excitement bestirred the Humans of 2021. "Did we just win?" "I don't think so." "Now what?"

"The Human Side has recovered from its setback," said the Sapphire Witch. "With the darkness of the maze illusion lifted, they now have the clue they need to complete the riddle of the music safe."

"If they can," added the Witch of Secrets, a shade mockingly.

As the Humans considered the final puzzle of this chapter, an unseen servant brought a tray bearing a teapot and cups to the table, as well as a black leather suitcase.

----

* "Kaze wo Atsumete"
* "I've Got Dreams to Remember"
* "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
* "Suspicious Minds"
* "Hey Jude"
* "Amor, No Gracias"
* "People Get Ready"
* "There Are Bad Times Just around the Corner"
* "Rhapsody in Blue"
* "Superstition"
* "Respect"
* "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do"
* "Take on Me"
* "The Riddle"
* "Mamma Said"
* "Here I Go Again"
* "Twilight"
* "Ruby Tuesday"

By elimination, the guests soon worked out that the answer to the second clue was one of the first 10 songs.