View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
Please, don't let GK3's disguise puzzle deter you from completing the game! It's a fantastic, multi-layered game that checks almost all the boxes you are looking for: dark, 3rd person (technically), strong story (arguably the strongest, most well-crafted story of any adventure game ever), (blockily) realistic, and from an appropriate time period. It's in (clumsy but totally workable) 3D but you can't have everything!

Also, that puzzle has been widely acknowledged to be extremely unfair (in fact, it's been cited as, more or less, the death rattle of adventure games as a genre) so you shouldn't feel bad looking up a hint for it in UHS, for example.

EDIT: As far as must-play games on your list go, IMHO those would be BaSS, the GK series (each more amazing than the last, true gems), and Sanitarium. They're also all very much along the lines of what you are looking for. The Monkey Island games (at least the 1st two), while not dark, are definitely also a must-play.

And, please, for all that is holy, do NOT even think about Still Life 2! Never have I played such a buggy, plodding, unimaginative, stupid, plot-hole-riddled, awkwardly-controlled (that inventory!) mess of a game.

P.S. Also you have to play more Fallout, and Fallout 2! You will thank me later!
I did walkthrough the puzzle, I just tend to become really, really annoyed at games where I keep getting stuck. I'll try to explain: When I'm stuck and don't know what I'm supposed to be doing I go check up on that exact spot I'm stuck, figure out how I'm supposed to do it, and then continue playing. If I go from one "I'm stuck" directly into another "I'm stuck" I just feel like the game isn't giving me enough information and it just takes the fun out of it.
I gave up on GK3 because I felt I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing.
I should probably give it another chance, there are some games where I just need to spend some time getting to know the game, control system and progression before I understand how the game works, and I might not have given GK3 the benefit of the doubt.

I'm a bit stuck on the GK series because I feel I should start with the first one, but I'm scared of old games, and of having to deal with DosBox and set up. It just seems like so much effort when I have other games that do not require any work.. [me]

I do want to continue Sanitarium, but as I said last time I tried it was so bugged I couldn't progress or play without frequent crashes. (Was the same with my version of Faust) I hope GOGs Sanitarium version has been fixed, but I got no answer from people about it. Has nobody played the GOG version?

Been very skeptical to Still Life 2 as it was continued without the original creators, you guys are not helping me change my mind!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery