View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
i don't know if it's the same Art of Murder in big fish games but there are three Art of Murder games that are not HOGs..It's Art of Murder FBI Confidential,AOM Hunt for the Puppeteer and AOM Cards of Destiny.They are exactly like Still Life in terms of style.graphics or otherwise.I know there is a HOG AOM hence the doubt about big fish.
Big fish games has a lot of adventure games too actually. I have Nikopol and Scratches from them (as well as Syberia 1 and 2), as I said, I never know what to use my free game cupon on, so I keep buying AGs that do not have a collector's edition. I picked up Art of Murder FBI confidential, will pick up the third one if I enjoy the first two.

Quote:
Also Sinking Island I finished recently.I think there is one major flaw in this game.When double clicking on a transition to another area it doesn't fast forward to the next area.In fact you watch Jack Norm jog to it.Other than that it was a classic Sokal experience with a bit of ingenuity in helping you get organised by introducing a kind of Personal Organiser.It was really helpful.I liked it and i'm sad there's not gonna be a sequel since White Bids doesn't exist anymore.Kind of tedious at first but gets a lot better after completing two pieces of the puzzle.
I might give it another try. I really do not like timed games where you have only one chance to do something, so I think I have to play it on the "casual" setting. If it picks up, I can handle a few hours tediousness first.

Quote:
Last but not least,you can't go wrong with Scratches.It's a great game and many of the guys are gonna back me up on this.
I have heard so much good about Scratches, and I do want to try it, but I'm afraid I'll scare myself too much. I can't handle horror movies, but I have no problem with horror HOGs, so I'm not sure where Scratches will fall.
I did scare myself playing Myst several years ago, but I have played several first person games since then, and might be less timid now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
Start at the start:

Zork
Colossal Cave Adventure
Mystery House
It's an admirable suggestion, but I do not have the patience for text-based input. I'm a story nut, so I have a tendency to walkthrough through tough puzzles, and the only way I'll ever get through the olden games would be to walkthrough the whole thing (I hate dying!). I walkthroughed half of Black Mirror 1 for gods sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21
it seems though that his games are based on that art style....as much fun as many others can be i think they should be left back for another time when there won't be alternatives.i'm not saying they're not good but when he is talking about 2D/3D games and you tell him to play Zork(unless i'm mistaken you mean the first one which was text based).....
I have played more AGs than my list, I didn't bother to list all my played games, but you're right that I have a tendency to go for the gritty, dark styles. Note that I've picked up several of my games on sale and through bundles, so I haven't bought every single one specifically because of the style.
It will always be a matter of opinion and taste, but because I started playing AGs around 2004-2005, my favourite games and styles are coloured by the first games I played.
My favourites are still TLJ, Syberia 1 and 2, Still Life, Broken Sword 1 and 2 and Secret Files: Tunguska (though I agree that Tunguska was very easy and had a simple story). Might also include Culpa Innata and Lost Horizon, but both dropped the ball on the ending.. hmm.. I seem to have that complaint about most of the AGs I've played..

And please guys, I'm a girl, it says so in my description *points at profile picture*.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery