View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #65
diego

diego, young and reckless, says:

"awakened and arsene lupine were imo disappointment for sherlock holmes fans. I think it has a lot to do with a point of view of main character. I don't know why, but whenever i think of sherlock holmes i always think of a 3rd person game"

in this thread.

So here i am, couple of years later, playing The Awakened - Remastered Edition, all thrilled 'cause it lets you play in a 3rd person mode. And you know what? It doesn't work. Ok, it was a nice feature to switch between the views from time to time, but it was clear that the game was made with 1st person view in mind. However, i'm glad that i got around to finish it this time - it might not be a perfect game, but it's much better than i first thought.

However, young fool is sometimes "right":

"That doesnt mean that every game should be 3rd person. Some stories, puzzles, characters and atmosphere are better told through 3rd person view, but some are better suited for 1st person."

and:

"I have affection for 3rd persons games, and some of my favorite adventures are 1st person games."

And i think that "Mysts" gave love 1st person a bad name. As Fien pointed, it doesn't have to be "isolated island with mechanic puzzles". It just happens that majority of it ARE Myst-clones, but that doesn't give us right to condemn it. As someone smart once said: Variety is the spice of life.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!