View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #61
badlemon
duh

well... hard to add anything that haven't bee said. well except the personal taste which seems to be the main reason for a person to choose 1st or 3rd (i for example dislike the 1st for the already mentioned reasons - the dizziness, the static solitude etc.) very important thing is what type of adventure do you seek. if you are on exploring a world without talking too much and handing puzzles like "switch the right valves in order the water to go through" maybe the 1st person perspective suits you well.... but in my case I'm looking for different things in an adventure.

1. Puzzles are important part but not the only one in an adventure. I like to feel the story. I like to see how my character is involved in that story. I like to talk to people (if dialogues are well written of course) and see how the character reacts to everything, that gives him/her more depth. And after all i'm playing a game with it's own story. I don't imagine that I am that character in the game. After all the story isn't about my life but the life of someone else. Imagine reading a book where the main character isn't defined at all... well I don't see much joy in that (that example of course excludes the 1st person games with defined character, but still a 3rd person helps me understand him/her better)

2. I'm a huge classic point n click fan. I like it when the atmosphere of the game has its own style. And graphics of a game have a major role here. Especially when it's 2d the art style of a game can be various. Whether it's cartoony like monkey island, or have that magic fairy tale taste like the whispered world, or the hand drawn appeal of machinarium. Each of them completes the atmosphere of the game in its unique way. And all I see in a 1st person game is boring static 3d rendered images most of which are photorealistic as mentioned. I don't say that the visual style couldn't be unique in a 1st person, but so far I haven't seen such.

3. The 3rd person perspective gives more freedom for the angle of the viewer. Whereas in 1st person it's just the angle of your eyes which gets boring for me in a while. In 3rd person the camera could be positioned on the top of the things you see (like the temple of small gods in Discworld Noir) or in corner of a hallway with highly distorted perspective, it could be zoomed in the only thing to explore is a tiny closet or could be zoomed out and you can explore a whole neighborhood in a single shot.

p.s. I adore rpg isometric view like sanitarium. It's third person again but I have a different experience while playing it. If anyone knows any other games like that pls let me know. Already anticipating STASIS