View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #55
Oscar
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCthulhu View Post
First person in games, after all, isn't like the first person view you experience in real life. You have limited or no view whatsoever of your appendages, you can't move your head to look around, and you have no peripheral vision. You also can't tell where sounds are coming from. It takes me out of the game and makes the game world feel unrealistic, restricted, and claustrophobic for me.......especially if there is action involved.
That's not true. All you need are stereo speakers or headphones to hear directional sound, and in many games you can move your head around. In Myst I might not have free movement but can click to see sideways. And why would I want to see my appendages anyway?

Who exactly am I in a 3rd person game? I'm not the protagonist, and yet I am. I can see what the protagonist doesn't see, being outside of his body, but I control him/her. Most 3rd person games don't define the role clearly enough for me, which bores me. Most of the time I feel like just I'm some advisor to the main character, a voice in his/her head.

The other thing I like better about 1st person games is the minimal talking. 3rd person is just too much yap-yap-yap a lot of the time, though there are exceptions.