View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #607
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
i wouldn't be too sure that being self published is a good thing for Jane Jensen. Even with a publisher pushing for the game to be finished, it took years for Gray Matter to see the light of day, and it wasn't that great when it did finally come out so i wouldn't like to see how long it takes her to release something when she doesn't have anyone pushing her.

Personally i think it's a bit of a piss take for this and the LSL project to be on Kickstarter at all, while indie developers like Indiestone (Project Zomboid) and Chris Bischoff (Stasis) are struggling under the constrants of self funding. Surely these developers have made enough money over the decades they've been making games to fund these games themselves?
Not to pile on, but you seem to have an odd view of the situation. Even if Jane were lazy without someone pushing her and even if she were as wealthy as you seem to think, not having her company on Kickstarter would probably have very little effect on the indies that you mention. People are putting their money into it because she has proven herself to enough of her fans that they want more games from her.

There has been a lot of discussions about Gray Matter on these forums and elsewhere that pretty strongly indicates where the mismanagement problems with the release came from, and very little, if any placed it on Jane. You also have an odd notion of how much money the developers made. Remember, they were just employees that did not have the rights to their creations. They may or may not have been paid well for their labors, but it seems very unlikely that many of the Sierra employees got rich simply by working at Sierra.