View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #464
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

OK, I wrote this a few hours ago, before the last 20 posts or so were made, so it may be a bit outdated already, but still:

I fully agree with inm8#2.
The Jane Jensen Kickstarter is a LOT more interesting than the Double Fine Kickstarter, because this time around we have no less than three game ideas to look forward to, all three of which are already clearly defined. Double Fine had nothing. No story, no concept art, just "point-and-click adventure".
I love Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert (heck, I own ALL LucasArts adventure games), and I haven't played ANY of the Gabriel Knight games yet. And I'd still pick the Jane Jensen Kickstarter over DFA.

Yes, Jane's campaign didn't start perfectly. She didn't use her own name (or better: the Gabriel Knight name) enough, the CSG concept wasn't entirely clear, etc.
Yet all those issues were resolved within the first day. She's been answering all the questions regarding her Kickstarter since the start of the campaign, and she's regularly updating the page.

It puzzles me as to why the campaign still isn't picking up. I know the DFA campaign was an anomaly, but if you even compare it to the LSL campaign (which is about a remake of a remake of a dated game), this one is seriously underperforming.
While I'm convinced we'll make 300K, the goal should be 600K - less than a fifth of what Double Fine made - and I fear we won't get to that amount. And that saddens me...

Of course it could be a lot worse. I mean, in comparison, the Delaware St. John Kickstarter is getting brutally ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbi
- gray matters performance and history does not help
How well a game performed has nothing to do with it. Just because something doesn't sell a lot of copies, doesn't mean it's bad. How many copies were sold of The Last Express? How high was it in the AG Top 100?
Also, Jane Jensen started her own production company and launched this Kickstarter specifically to NOT repeat Gray Matter's "development hell" history.