View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird
Absolutely no. It brings only "oh my god, how stupid I was! I should have understood this sooner" -reaction.
I'd sooner get that from using a walkthrough than from finding the solution on my own...
Finding it without help makes me happy, even if I should have found it sooner.

Good puzzles actually reward you for solving them, and I don't necessarily mean by giving you a cutscene or by advancing the plot or anything. If you get a sense of satisfaction out of solving a certain puzzle all by yourself, then that was a good puzzle, imo.

For some reason, this reminds me of the back alley password puzzle in Monkey Island 2 (where the doorguard holds up a number of fingers on one hand - "if this is X then Y is...?"). I spent nearly fifteen minutes with trial-and-error on that before I started taking notes. The second I started taking notes, the pattern became obvious. And if I'm not mistaken, that's also how I solved it fifteen years ago - I eventually started taking notes.
Good thing I'd forgotten the solution this time around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird
Mathematics aren't my strongest point and when I feel adventurous, I want to explore, solve the case and talk with people. It does not include a will to understand alien objects and frustrating number- or calculating-infested business.
Actionless RPGs and interactive novels, basically?