View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
MoP
Comfortably Numb

There's 4 adventure projects going on (let's not forget Delaware St. John), right on the heels of Double Fine, and with Tex right around the corner. If You care for any other genre, it doesn't help either.

Part of Double Fines success was people giving way more cash for a single game, than they usually spend in maybe a couple of months (I'm basing this on the fact that 1/3 of both DF and Wasteland total came from 100$ collectors edition pledges... but maybe I'm disconnected and that's how much people normally spend?). Now, when we have several campaigns going on at once (along with similar comebacks in different genres), and more in the wings, it's just impossible.

They're shooting themselves in the foot in my eyes, and it's just irritating that Jane Jensen or Al Lowe are struggling to reach their goals (I know that's an exaggeration, and they'll probably manage, but it's hard not to compare with the big guys in terms of momentum).
Instead of feeling happy for being a part of something special, it's becoming more of a nerve wrecking experience, hoping for the project to even succeed... on top of feeling like I'm missing out on some goodies because I just can't afford to pour as much into every project (this falls into what millenia and Datadog said though, it's not the devs fault, obviously). At least let people get their paychecks...

I'm thrilled with the whole idea and craze, and can't wait for more spectacular comebacks. I just wish they planned it better, instead of going all gung ho. I think I'm repeating myself here, but I'm sure there's space for everyone... just get a round-table going, set up a schedule, and then every beloved developer can have his/her Tim Schafer moment (so I'm a naive dreamer, sue me )