View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #30
GreyFuss
Grue Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I hate to sound like a randroid, but let the free market take care of it. It will. As it stands, many developers who get into kickstarter will fail, fairly or unfairly. People will pay for the games they want and if not enough people want a certain game... it won't happen.

Just like always. Except this time the will of the consumer will be tested directly, and we will be saved from games being shelled because of the mistaken impressions of publishers and game executives.
Very well said Banter and I couldn't agree more. Kickstarter is now an added option for gamers to decide for themselves what they want to do. For or against the idea it still boils down to what the community wants.

I haven't decided yet exactly how I feel about this trend but one thing for sure is I am not fond of the Fees. Case in point...here is an example of what it costs (the donors) to fund the successful Double Fine Project. I use them for the example, maybe unfairly*, because they are Kickstarters most successful game by far to date.

Total Dollars Funded for Project $3,336,371.00

5% Fee going to Kickstarter $166,818.00
3-5% Fee going to Amazon (using 4%) $133,454.00

Total of over $300,000.00 dollars (over a quarter million) of the communities donated money is not going to the game at all. That is more than enough to fund Jane Jensen's project alone. I realize that Kickstarter and Amazon have to make money but...wouldn't it be nice to have another option where all or a higher percentage of the money can go into a game project. Maybe something like through PayPal? Until I can get past these figures I am not sure I can be a contributor before a game is made but I certainly can be a supporter after.

Maybe my math is wrong. What do you guys think?

* The next most successful campaign at Kickstarter totaled just over $221,000,00 with close to $20,000 (twenty thousand) in Fees.

Last edited by GreyFuss; 04-10-2012 at 06:45 AM.