View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #96
Josho
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I don't know how to put it better, but it sounds really "bizarro world like" and "monty pythonesque" to ask that you guys prove yourselves before getting your hands on the licenses. Don't these suits know that you were the people that made these games they are sitting on in the first place? I mean, seriously.
Hi, Banter,

I agree; it seems very odd. But perhaps it's a little less odd if you factor in the knowledge that the adventure game genre strikes fear in to the hearts of publishers. I would venture to say that the more successful and experienced a designer is at creating adventure games, the more the publisher will be concerned that the designer's games are only going to appeal to a niche market. Remember that, as opposed to the heyday of adventure games (when sales of 100-200K were considered successes), games are now expected to sell vastly greater numbers than that, and anything that doesn't rise to that level is considered a failure.

Having said that, I think that the success of Kickstarter adventures may be what we need to demonstrate to publishers that the desire is out there, in sufficiently viable numbers to warrant more real adventure game development.

Fingers crossed, anyway.