View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Now that we're here, and they're here, there's really no other option for a "fan", but to support designer he/she wished for being back. It's not really a "dream come true" situation - Al Lowe is remaking older title rather than doing new Larry, Jane isn't back with a GK4 bang... but it's "good as it gets" for a striving community.
^ This.
Kickstarter has its flaws, and it may not necessarily be the preferred way to see our beloved adventure game genre reach another "golden age", but darn it... it's exciting to see some of these names make a return to the genre we love best!
Kickstarter isn't perfect, but if that's our best bet at the moment, then we should be taking it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
I get the feeling that if she had just picked one game herself, and said "here I need 300K to make Moebius" (or GM2), then a lot more people would have contributed.
I agree with this.
While the "CSG" is a great concept, it'd be more successful if Jensen had kept it simpler.
But then again, she probably couldn't choose between any of the three projects herself...
Chances are we'll be seeing all three games within two years anyway. And that thought makes me happy.

Quote:
The kids ebook is not helping either. They were working on it anyway and thought why not add it to the kickstarter as a free goodie, but thats scaring folks too, who are now wondering whether more kids/casuals are down the line. They might have got more backing had they just left it out altogether.
This I don't agree with. First time I read the Kickstarter page this felt like nothing more than an added reward for the backers. Something extra, not something you'd be funding. I thought that was pretty clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark7 View Post
So it is quite possible that one (or both) of these project will fail eventually. I hope that Tex will not make similar mistakes.
It's probably a smart move that Tex Murphy has decided to announce its Kickstarter way ahead of schedule. Those that are actively following the genre, the die-hard fans that contribute within a Kickstarter's first 48 hours, have some time to prepare and will be present even sooner than they'd otherwise be. And the extra month of time the Tex Murphy guys have to launch the Kickstarter gives them extra time to make an effective campaign. They can see the flaws in Jane Jensen and Al Lowe's Kickstarters. They can see the parts of those Kickstarters that actually work well.
Kickstarter is still a young medium, and the people behind Tex Murphy get a lot of preparation by waiting. They have a chance to avoid the "beginner's mistakes" both Jensen and Lowe made in their campaigns. Tex Murphy should be a well thought out campaign with a clear goal. My guess is that it's going to be VERY successful.