View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
diego

Default Kickstarter and adventures

Mirroring the "Fatigue" thread, (sorry, Kuru! ) i wanted to answer the question - Why should I support adventure game Kickstarter campaigns?

I'm not going to talk about the cons of kickstarter system - it's there. After all, we're paying for an unfinished product which may or may not be made with money we may or may not have... Something's wrong here - and i'm no economics expert to be fully aware of it (i'll just keep shut on all of this next time i'm doing the exam). But speaking of game campaigns, and when you think of it - it's not really much different to an "upgraded" pre-order - pledgings MAY or may not be more worth than the actual game and awards, but they're on the voluntary basis.

I see kicksarter as a natural thingie in "evolution" of internet, world coming "together", rise of indie games... And the all-known thought of aspiring millionaires: "If I had a dollar from every men in the world..." seems to be more reachable than ever. We had "donations" to small developers before, now it's Kickststarter (and already other similar sites to it), and who knows what will be next?

So, how the legendary adventure game designers fit in?

If we're to make the list of genre's best designers - there're many, but some names will be heard often. And when couple of those, decide to get back via Kickstarter - some of them being back in business after 10+ years, or making their first adventure game after 10+ years... - unless it's being too much of a coincidence, nothing is assuring us that we wouldn't be waiting for another 5-10 years for their return, without the Kickstarter involvement.

Now that we're here, and they're here, there's really no other option for a "fan", but to support designer he/she wished for being back. It's not really a "dream come true" situation - Al Lowe is remaking older title rather than doing new Larry, Jane isn't back with a GK4 bang... but it's "good as it gets" for a striving community.

And the most important thing - I DIDN'T support all of these campaigns. I'm not trying to condemn or persuade anyone who didn't support ANY of it. I have supported some for my personal, selfish reasons, and they beat "flaws" of the Kickstarter.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.