View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #54
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

I agree with everyone stating that Al Lowe should make a new Larry game instead of yet another remake of a game that's gotten multiple already.

Especially since the first Larry game (like Kurufinwe already said) was very time-specific. It was a game that captured the feel of the late '80s. Now it's outdated (and I'm not talking about the text parser or the graphics here). A remake of something that's outdated, is itself outdated from the get-go.
Even moreso if they want to appeal to "modern" gamers. "Modern gamers" aren't used to the text parser, and won't like it. Heck, even I've gone so far as to avoid text parsers nowadays. I no longer have the patience to experiment with words to figure out what I need to do in an adventure game. Point-and-click has grown on me in such a way that I'll happily replay classics, as long as they don't use a text parser. Imagine how a gamer who's never used a text parser in a game before would react, then.
But scrapping the text parser means the game will be lacking half of the charm and humour of the original. The great thing about the first game actually WAS the text parser and the fact that you could experiment with it and get an actual (funny) response most of the time - especially if you wrote something dirty. Lose the text parser and you lose this.

As for the comparison with the Monkey Island remakes: the best thing about those remakes was the added voice-over. NOT the graphical update, because that was a tad too generic and lacked some of the original's charm.
This will be a huge trap for the Larry remake as well: having voice-over like in Love for Sail would be a plus, but any graphical update not only has to contain the charm of the original, but it also has to compete with the VGA remake.

I just don't think this is worth it. Not even for the fans.

A new game, with a new storyline, adapted to present-day situations (and humour), THAT's what we'd like to see. But with the Larry-character, that would also be hard to do. Larry was a late '80s - early '90s phenomenon.

PĂ«rsonally, I think it should stay there. Let Larry live on in our dreams, in our memories and in Germany. No matter how good Love for Sail is, this franchise is imo a thing of the past.

Regarding those questions Al Lowe answered: I agree with most of you.
I don't get the Codemasters involvement. Did they sell back the rights or didn't they? Cause if they did, why would they need to see a remake of the first game to give them freedom for the next game? If they sold the rights, they don't need to see anything, they're basically out of the equation. If it's a funding thing, however, then why the Kickstarter? If Codemasters want to fund Al Lowe for the game, but want to see a remake first, then THEY should fund that remake. Not the fans.
And if Al Lowe & co want Codemasters out of their neck so they could make a new game, then why not launch a Kickstarter for a NEW game? Why still this remake?
Unless Codemasters didn't actually sell them the rights, but then I still don't see why they'd need a Kickstarter for the remake. I hope someone can clarify a bit, because this just doesn't make any sense to me...