View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #33
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Nathan Drake, Dude Raider, is back this time you can carry him in your pocket. The latest Uncharted Game on the new Playstation Vita is a throwback to the first game in the PS3 series.

The PSVita is a powerhouse of a handheld console with front and back touchscreens, cameras, tilt motion sensors, dual analogue sticks and a georgous screen. However it is not good enought to compete with the giant set pieces and graphical power of the 2nd and 3rd PS3 games.

Golden Abyss brings new tricks to the table. It goes out of it's way to include ALL the new features of the new console. The touch screens are used to clean items, do charcoal rubbings, row boats, cut bamboo, reload your gun, punch dudes etc etc etc.

You move Drake around with the two analogue sticks and aim and shoot with the shoulder buttons, although you can move the PSVita around to aim the sniper rifle or take pictures of the scenery and solve puzzles.

The plot revolves around Drake and a couple of new characters trying to locate a fabled city of gold in Panama, hampered at all turns by the local corrupt military leader.

Gameplay is a mixture of exploration and combat. Nathan clambers up and down with ease using either the traditional sticks and buttons or by tapping out a route on the touchscreen. Combat is a cover based system with the left shoulder popping out to aim and the right button shooting.

Graphically the game is fantastic, on par with early PS3 games it looks bright and clear on the OLED screen, moves at a decent pace and has some stunning visual backgrounds.

The voice work is exemplary, with the voice talent from the main series reprising their roles.

Overall I loved the game. Vita is a powerful handheld and this launch game is a perfect demonstration of that power.

4/5