View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Maybe it wouldn't be bad to have some kind of "sub-genre" categorizations, not only the usual mysteries, comedies... but also similar to what the old Home of the Underdogs site did - Grand Adventure, History, Detective games...
Wow wow wow wow. Huge flashback incoming.

(Quick search through my mail archive...)

Hah! Email from me to Jack back in October 2006 (bolding added):
I like the idea of having genre categories (or rather: tags, since a game can have several), but I agree that it's going to be tough to implement. We really need to establish a (rather limited) list of tags, and then stick to it. I think the type of settings should be the main way to sort things (sci-fi, fantasy, historical, etc.) (but then, what is Myst?), possibly with the tone too (horror, comedy, etc.) (but then, once again, what is Myst?). The list of themes at Underdogs might be a nice starting point (I especially like the use of some "transversal" categories, such as "licensed", or the very-practical "unique").
Great minds think alike.

And it did get implemented at some point (after I left the team). It's the "Theme" field on every game's page (see example). Of course, it's not searchable yet (unless you have some reasonable google-fu), but it's somewhere in the database.

(I can't even begin to imagine how much work it must have been to tag all the games on the site... Glad I was gone when that happened. )

EDIT: And the "Unique" tag even got implemented, and could act as a list of many of my favourite games. Now that makes my day.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 03-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.