View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Burns11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I would neither consider Journey a traditional or non-traditional adventure game.

The gameplay mechanics seem closer to the jump & run genre and the pretty essential ingredient called "puzzles" is wholly missing here. But I'm sure that lots of adventure gamers might enjoy Journey. Exploration plays a huge part in this game and I don't know how much it tests your reflexes, but as far as I can see it's rather relaxing to play.
Not true, there are plenty of puzzles.

As far as "is this an adventure game" goes, that's just going to be an incessant debate on any game that's not unadulterated point and click.

I'm not sure the game would fit better as a platformer than an adventure either, it's missing nearly every platforming standard.

It is in a similar vein as ICO/SotC, with the cinematic presentation and the minimalistic storytelling, but a central aspect of those games was combat and there is zero combat in Journey.

Journey also has some gameplay parts that could be defined as stealth.

I think Journey takes so many small elements of so many genres that it defies distilling it down to a single or even compound genre.