View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Datadog

I do like Telltale Games on the whole. I have several of their game cases sitting right over my head, from S&M Season 1 to Jurassic Park. As I really enjoy their stories, it's easier for me to overlook all the game-play issues that are driving everyone else crazy. For shorter adventure games, I AM having a lot of fun with them, especially since I don't have time for longer games anymore *shakes fist at the 36 hours spent playing ME3*. If I want a good 3-hour game, I can always rely on a Telltale adventure. Or Portal.

I understand their reasoning behind doing licensed episodic games and it is a good business strategy given the market and competition. The episodic format has opened up a lot more possibilities story-wise than most full-length games have captured in entire series. It's nice to see characters taken on the kind of development arcs you only ever get out of television shows these days.

Presently, I only have BTTF and JP to go off of. I think it's premature to retro-actively change my opinion of the company just because these aren't their traditional types of game, and just because I haven't tried "Hector" or "Puzzle Agent" yet. Funny how every time TT releases an original title, almost nobody plays it... and then we complain about them not releasing original titles.

So Telltale? Yay. Small episodes like "Abe Lincoln Must Die", "Strongbadia the Free", "Rise of the Pirate God", and "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak" are among some of the greatest adventure game experiences I've ever had. Games are expensive business, so if they need to sell a few QTE-games just to get more of their traditional adventures off the ground, so be it.

For an animator, QTE-games are good bread and butter anyway. *fires off another resume their direction*