View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #410
Goldeneye

The guesses seem to be slow coming, so I will post the full review; initially I took out the first paragraph because I thought it'd be too easy.

Quote:
I bought this game as I'm a fan of the Cadfael detective novels and I also enjoyed 'The Name of the Rose', a film that you are often reminded of as you play the game with its forbidden library and hints of something Satanic. Some bits of the game do seem far too derivative but it's nicely done over all. Set in the Middle Ages you play as <removed> who, when his simple delivery job is interupted by falling boulders and violent death, takes on a distinctly Sherlock-style detective role.

The cartoon style graphics of this game make it instantly look different in these days of 3D realism, but I think they're quite effective and they blend well with the pure animation cut scenes. I'm undecided whether the cartoon style detracts from the dark themes of the plot or provides some needed lightening of the game with its gristly deaths, I suppose it depends on how dark you like your games.

The game play is quite good, although there seems to be an excess of locked doors for you to get through.There are the stardard adventure game inventory puzzles some of which require serious thought and a few events where a speedy reaction is needed. There is the usual 'pick up everything that isn't nailed down' and doing jobs for other characters to make progress, nothing innovative but all nicely done. The characters of the various people in the <removed> and your hero and his sidekick <removed> [who's very annoying!] are all very well acted and characterized, and your character, <removed>'s, complex past is revealed in the course of his conversations with others. You hunt for clues and interview the <removed> over a storyline that takes place over a few days, as time goes on you feel an increasing urgency as things come to a dramatic finale.

It's a good length game, though probably not the '40 hours' mentioned in some descriptions of the game, but enough you won't feel cheated. It's entertaining to play and quite fun in it's way. As long as you're after a nice game and not an orginal story idea you'll enjoy it.