View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #29
11:19

I think the disconnect in review scores comes from the fact that, as usual for Bioware games, ME3 has been both praised and criticized for the wrong reasons.

The ending doesn't make sense, but why would you expect Bioware to be able to wrap the series up in a sensible way in the first place? The first game ended with the evil living spaceship losing its powers because you killed the guy it was possessing. The second game, whose plot had nothing to do with the first, was about skanks in catsuits and playing psychiatrist to your military operation so they wouldn't die on the suicide mission, where you fought the monster from Contra 3 that the crab people were building from liquified human remains.

Regardless, dashed hopes for ME3 to salvage some sort of meaningful work of art out of this mess caused a lot of gamers to rate it a zero. Which is as wide off the mark as the collaborationist effort to puff the previous games up as serious art was. The gamers' tolerance for the sham was the weakest link in that chain, with the game critics still caught up in their own imaginary construction, but the game itself doesn't deserve the backlash.

ME3 is good, and I didn't care much for the previous two games. If one doesn't think too hard about the main plot points -which one shouldn't- there is some excellent atmosphere and space marine bro action going on in between. It's like a space James Bond, played by Jennifer Hale, in which you take control on occasion to shoot at some goofy creature. Pretty cool IMO.

Last edited by 11:19; 03-22-2012 at 01:59 AM.