View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #48
WitchOfDoubt

Quote:
Based on the 2010 population figures (if Wikipedia is to be believed) the number of people in Manhattan is 1,585,873. Assuming the vampires only leave Manhattan when all the population are turned, the whole lot will be vampires by 7:00 am.
(Ah, that would be the case if we began at 12:00 midnight - that is, 12:00 AM. But you may want to reread the question...)

Several years ago...

Alicia Tressler had known of Ann Seaton by phone and electronic correspondence, but actually meeting her in person was quite another thing. Seaton's office was neat, save for one desk piled high with papers, but details hinted at its owner's eccentricity. One bookshelf held, next to the classic textbooks and protocol guides, a copy of The Hobbit, and brass figurines, some in the shapes of witches and giant mushrooms, stood on a filing cabinet in the corner.

"Cup of tea?" asked Dr. Seaton, offering the clinician a mug labeled with a three-eyed smiley face.

"Thanks," said Dr. Tressler. "Liked the introduction you gave me today. Very flattered!" Before her talk, Seaton had introduced her as a world-renowned diagnostician. Of course, that she was one of Seaton's several dozen collaborators on the Cancer Chip project, seeking to find molecular 'signals' to diagnose and treat tumors, probably contributed to the warm reception.

"Only the best for you, Alicia," said Seaton, toying with a spring between her fingers. "But I actually wanted to talk to you about something else. Not business at all. My husband and I have started a kind of club."

"A club?"

Seaton shrugged, as if to say 'it's nothing serious', but her eyes were focused on Tressler's "Think of it as a puzzle and riddle club. I do know how you enjoy mysteries, so..."

"Guess I'm up for a meeting! Couldn't hurt to try!" said Alicia, gamely.

"Oh, good, good. You know Professor Rinaldi? He's on board, too..."

And that was how Dr. Alicia Tressler took her first step toward becoming ALICE, the Witch of Connections.

Last edited by WitchOfDoubt; 03-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.