View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
Burns11

Ugh, I had a long, thoughtful reply typed up, then hit the wrong button (accidentally knocked the cursor off the text box with tab and hit backspace).

Anyway, let's start from the beginning.

Revelations' pacing was horrible from the start. Unlike previous games Revelations just plopped you into an unlocked map, forcing you to try and control the pacing. The other games gave you story and side missions at a metered pace and it worked much better.

Desmond's story was just a lame hub, and his memory sequences were horribly awkward, not difficult and didn't tell us anything really that we already didn't know. The loss of the excellent subject 16 puzzle sequences and the movie fragments that kept you pushing to find them was a huge letdown. It was also ridiculous that they really didn't expound on Lucy.

Altair's story was the best of the bunch, but they were so short and fleeting that it was hardly enough to make up for the other failings.

Ezio's story was horrible. Previous games gave us an enemy we wanted to hate, that we pushed to take down and gave us glimpses into something greater. Revelations gave us generic enemies with the only motivation being a meta story reveal at the end. It just made the entire game feel like busywork.

I'm not alone either, Revelations is the worst reviewed game in the franchise (metacritic). That the creative director and lead designer are both no longer with Ubisoft and not involved in ACIII isn't without reason.

My excitement going into Revelations was at a 10, coming out it was around 4, with new people in charge and the setting I'd put it at a 7, but there are still reservations seeing what Revelations turned the series into.