View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #44
WitchOfDoubt

Kenichi Nakamura's first attempt at the vampire puzzle appeared reasonable, a clear-cut case of exponential growth, and yet... that wasn't quite the answer. What was wrong with this reasoning?

As he mulled this over, Batsheva swept up to the toy chest in a flurry of bangles and flora. "MRS YE'S TOP!" L. V. watched, feigning incomprehension, as she affected a campy drag queen voice, pointed to an item in the toy chest, and said to Mrs. Ye, "Lemme borrow that top!"

"Excuse me?" asked Margaret Ye. She'd always found Batsheva a bit exasperating.

"That's a cute top! I wanna borrow it! Let me -" Batsheva stopped, seeing that her efforts at lightening the mood were falling flat, and said, "It's a YouTube thing."

Ocean Zweidler sighed as Mrs. Ye handed over the toy. It was decorated with multicolored dots, but the part that immediately drew Ms. Ellis's attention was the handle. It unscrewed from the disc easily, revealing a metal cylinder that fit neatly into the lock.

"It must be electronic," said Kenichi, noting the lack of notches on the key. "It has a chip inside the handle to signal the door."

But when they opened the cabinet, the safe inside confronted them with yet another challenge! Inside was another locked door, with a combination lock that bore a compass rose around its dial, rather than numbers. And attached to this safe was a sheet of paper bearing the following maze of arrows: