View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
Ark7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
While I'm happy to see developers like Schafer, Fargo, and possibly Jones reinvigorate their beloved franchises or pursue projects they've wanted to do for a long time, I hope this Kickstarter trend doesn't blow up too rapidly. I can see it reaching a point where people are overwhelmed with the projects they want to fund and at the same time disappointed with results. I'm not saying that'll happen with the current Kickstarters, but people like this guy can begin to flood the market.
I would not be so sceptical about Kickstarter trend and see rather the positives:
a) the players can now directly influence what games are created, it is not only in the hands of developers anymore
b) we finally see the projects we have been waiting for a long time - a classic adventure from Schaffer/Gilbert, classical RPG from Fargo and hopefully another Tex Murphy game from Jones. I doubt these will disappoint given the experience of people behind it
c) unknown developers can fund small indie projects. They will definitely not raise so much money as the famous developers, but if they will make very good game, next time they can raise more
d) the fan funding will not kill the traditional big producers model, many games will still be created the usual way, but the game creators will have more freedom in negotiation the conditions with the producers because they will be no more the only option
e) the market will not be flooded with the awful fan funded games, there will still be better and worse games but much more to choose from