View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
WitchOfDoubt

(I've been a bit ill - sorry for the delayed response! Now we're moving along nicely.)

The Witch bowed politely and motioned Timothy to sit on the east side of the table, facing a great window. "Welcome. I do trust our little entertainment meets with your approval."

Intense Degree was the next to enter. "Ah! Dante? An interesting guess... I shall have to discuss it with the animates." But the other word... "Yes, 'DECALOGUE' is the other answer I was expecting. Well solved." He was motioned to a seat opposite Timothy, on the Witch's left.

FantasySci, whose reiteration of the Divine Comedy answer gave it a little more weight, was welcomed and seated at the same side of the table as Timothy. Perhaps this would become relevant later...

UPtimist, too, received a seat - on IntenseDegree's side, opposite FantasySci. "I counsel patience," said the Witch. "Not everyone will solve every puzzle immediately. The time will come."

Several seats remained on both sides of the table, but the last person to enter ignored them and sat at the opposite end from the Witch. It was a boy of about eighteen. "Hey. Sorry I'm late," he said, and rather impertinently neglected to mention his name. All the same, the Witch seemed to know him. "We're about to get into the Club, right? Let's get on with it."

"... yes," said the Witch. "But a question. Would 'The Divine Comedy' stand as an answer to the 'decalogue' riddle?"

"Big stretch," said the boy. "I call Sphinx's Fourth. What about the 'tablets' part? What's the Inferno got to do with that? But y'know, the Golden Witch would have gone for it..."

"Of course," said the Sapphire Witch. "Of course she would have. In that light, I cannot turn down such an appropriate answer, ahaha! Very well, they shall take their first stone now. The Witch Side can afford to be generous for the moment."

The Witch slid a hemispherical, yellow-brown stone to the center of the table. It bore a set of letters - U A A. Initials of some kind?

-----

(Nicely done on finding two alternate answers; more people are, of course, welcome to join - there's plenty of room at the table.

I'll most likely post the opener for the next chapter tomorrow!)

Last edited by WitchOfDoubt; 03-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.