View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
TheTwelve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Yes! The future of AG's is in the hands of the fans-and honestly I couldn't think of a better place for a genre of games to be in.
This! Many times, this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
See-I don't understand why an indie game should have low end graphics and no voice acting. Indies need to push themselves. Create the best graphics you can. Get the community involved in Voice Acting. It CAN be done. Just because you are independent, doesn't mean that production value should go out the window.
I do disagree somewhat with this comment. I think there's a big difference with low-res graphics and low-quality. Two totally unconnected spectrum. (Maybe just a different interpretation of the OP's choice of words, there, though.) Beautiful low-res graphics can be created on a self-funded budget much easier than beautiful high-res graphics unless you are or know a very talented artist with lots of free time.

And I would much rather have no voice acting than bad voice acting. Bad voice acting can ruin a well written, dramatic script. I don't associate having voice acting with high production values. Look at Zelda. I would consider a game with no voice acting to have higher production values than a game with terrible voice acting. Having the voices done by "the community" is risky in that you get mixed recording quality and mixed acting quality. Some people can't do it professionally. Unlike graphics where you can use a different art style or aesthetic to cover up technical quality, you can not hide the technical quality of voice acting.

Otherwise, I'm right on board with your comments, Pyke! There's lots of reasons to be optimistic! Good luck with STASIS, it looks amazing!