Adventure Forums - View Single Post - The Witch's Epigraph [forum game]
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
WitchOfDoubt

(If this were a Sierra adventure game, that 'point earned' jingle would be playing so often that you'd mistake it for a cellphone going off.)

"ANSWERS ARE..." thought Mr. Sexton. "Perhaps the coded word finishes this off."

(Insert points jingle here. Deedle-ee-doot!)

Meanwhile, Ocean Zweidler rummaged through her purse again. Where were they? She'd walked here from her house after dropping off Faith, and she must have used them to unlock the front door. She could have sworn she put her keys back in the purse...

(Deedle-ee-doot!)

Well, it was probably nothing, just like that fire alarm. And Nat Foreman seemed to have something to say to her. "Ocean, I think I've solved the riddle on that page," he said. "It's COMMANDMENTS. Nine different letters, but Ten Commandments."

(Deedle-ee-doot! Another solution is possible.)

"I would hardly know," said Ocean, raising an eyebrow, "as I was not really the author of that riddle. But it is a sound answer. I've thought of another... one right in front of us, actually."

Meanwhile, Batsheva Ellis had managed to just barely fit 7 credit cards on top of an eighth - but L.V. shook his head. With a bit of strategy and care, she could do better.

----

Answer Key for the First Safe

The sheet of paper with Ocean's profile had been hidden in the mouth of a gargoyle at the right side of the front door; its riddle about divine tablets fell swiftly, but that was little more than a distraction compared to the first safe. As its opener, Ocean was given the honor of unsealing the envelope inside.

It contained a sheet of paper with two stories, the very sheet you are reading right now. What? Why does this other story say the beach bum solved it? His guess was ridiculous - it had nothing to do with the clues!

Ocean's answer, in contrast, had been entirely well-grounded. First, she entered the numbers mentioned on the page in order: 2, 7, 11. She then solved the Morse code on the page (which matched the flickering lights in the men's room), giving her a list of colors. Finally, she matched the colors to the asterisks on the page, and found that their first letters spelled out the answer.

"ANSWERS ARE ILLOGICAL?" she wondered aloud.

Ignoring the story below, she read this page aloud, then followed these instructions to proceed to the Foyer of the Club. It was time for the challenge to begin in earnest.

---

The sheet of paper with L.V.'s profile had been hidden in the mouth of a gargoyle at the left side of the front door, and posed one of his favorite party riddles. As the opener of the first safe, he had the honor of unsealing the envelope inside. It contained a sheet of paper with two stories, the very sheet you are reading now. He read both aloud, sounding a little put off when it began with a bogus account of how Ocean had been the first to open the safe.

Why would she make the answer to one of these puzzles a word like "ILLOGICAL?" It was almost like saying, "Hey, guys, my riddles don't make sense!" And that four-digit prime number was totally random! '2711?' Why not make it today's date, 1231? That's prime. Why not make it today's year, 2011? That's totally a prime number.

At least they got it right in the second story! My answers were way better. Everybody in the Club knows me and my parents, and it's obvious that I'm gonna inherit everything, right?

It's not as if strangers are playing. They wouldn't stand a chance. No way they'd guess the year Mom married Dad - two years before I was born - or her name.

Still... weird that the Witch knew that either he or Ocean was gonna solve the first safe. Shrugging and ignoring the story above, he followed the instructions on this page to proceed to the Foyer of the Club. It was time for the challenge to begin in earnest.

A Clue Towards L. V.'s Answer:

DALMERE NEGRE
TEFASY GARONE
QUESORITU
PALO
ONNE RENGE
GANBERIUE

================================================== ======================

The sheets of paper end here for now. If you're confused by that last set of stories, perhaps it will become clear soon. In the meantime, I'm certain you'll have no trouble working out L. V.'s answers to the first safe!

Signed,
The Sapphire Witch