View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
kuze
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Wo, wo, wo, wo, wo... Wait a minute... I am not saying that it's good because "a corporation says it's good". I am saying it's good, because I've got no problem with it AT ALL and also because some of the best developers out there ( and most of the indie devs out there too ) are using it and are saying that it's great. I can even show you some quotes from indie devs who say how good Steam/Steamworks, but why would I do that... I feel like I'm talking against a wall here, tbh
The devs are using it because it simplifies their life and assures a wide audience for their games. I did get that point. Steam is nice like this. Unfortunately, it has some downsides, which are of no concern to you apparently, but are a concern to many of us. Take music DRM for example. If people didn't cry out loud when almost every online music retailer was enforcing DRM on their consumers, they still wouldn't be offering DRM-free mp3s today. And that would be a bad thing. Because DRM is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Scanning your ID card would be the absolute worst way to clarify your age/maturity, because it would require for it to be checked by a real person. So, imagine that there's a HUGE release like GTA and 1000s of ppl are submitting their ID cards, then those ppl would have to wait for hours to even start downloading the game. That's why it's called digital distribution, because all the processes are done automatically. Oh and btw, if a certain game is being sold in Germany and it is censored, how is Steam supposed to offer an uncut version of that game when such a version is not being offered at retail ?! If an uncut version is not being sold in your country then Steam has no right to sell it to you, because that might be against the law.
a) Yes, scanning IDs would be a hassle (even though it would only have to be done once by tying the ID to your account), which is why there are better alternatives in place. Valve only has to adapt them.

b) Most of the uncut versions of such games are in fact allowed to be sold in Germany, but only to adults (e.g. games on the Liste B of the BPjM), and without open advertisement. L4D and L4D2 are such games. There are even localized German versions of those available (e.g. in Austria), but I bet most of German gamers would settle for the US version of the uncut game. Valve would therefore not go against the law, if they implemented some form of lawful authentication.

Also, not embracing everything with open arms just because it's convenient for you for the given moment does not equal being conservative. I use Steam. I'd like it to be better.

Last edited by kuze; 03-01-2012 at 03:16 AM.