View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
ozzie

The first adventure I solved without a walkthrough was Dreamfall. Before that I would always use one in some measure.
Heck, from the start I played with a walkthrough on my side. A shame really, since my first adventure games were some of the best the genre had to offer, like the first Monkey Island and the two Indiana Jones adventures. There was a magazine in Germany called Bestseller Games and every month it featured another old game. Many of them were by LucasArts. Every magazine contained a walkthrough for the game it came with, so of course I peeked into it from the very beginning.
I think in recent times I developed the patience to play through adventures without ruining the experience for me. I solved both Blackwell Deception and Deponia without a walkthrough. It did help that both of them were really well designed games. I peeked once for Book of Unwritten Tales: Die Vieh Chroniken, but, as it turned out, it was for a rather badly designed puzzle anyway. You had to draw a still life of some fruits in a bowl, I think, and the conditions for solving the puzzle seemed rather arbitrary, so arbitrary that none of the walkthroughs I was able to find were of much help. It wasn't much fun, either way.