View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
louiedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
And with all the cloud infrastructure, I wont be surprised to see computers without CD drives in 5 years. Then I can toss my CDs into the box with my 5.25" & 3.5" floppies (remember those? )
5 years? I've purchased three new laptops in the last 4 years and none of them have had optical drives. No optical drive generally translates to thinner and lighter which are much more attractive features to me. The only reason that I have one in my desktop is because it came over from a previous system. Even then, I disconnected it when installing a new hard drive and forgot to reconnect it. That was 18 months ago and I haven't had a reason to go in and fix it yet.

I hate dealing with optical media. I don't like storing discs and boxes and all of that crap. I love that I can get all of my games via downloads. What if Steam fails in 10 years and there's no plan that allows me to remove the DRM and keep it? I'll rebuy the game for $2 from whatever digital distribution service is around and selling it if I want to play it again. I'd rather sacrifice whatever paltry sum of money they want for an old game than have to deal with storing and moving a physical copy for the next 10 years.